Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The killer wore a rosary

For those that don't know me, this will be another blog that is much outside the realm of humor I always seem to dwell in.

I'm not a resident of New Orleans. I'm from Harvey which is about 10 miles southwest of the city, with that being said in my viewing of the Spike Lee documentary just about everytime it's come on I've noticed some things. New Orleans has some of the most religious people I've ever come across. You'll never meet more people that will respond to question, "How are you?" with a smile and, "I'm blessed." This religious nature extends down from the older folks down to the youngsters. Now here is where it gets oxymoronic. Everyone knows that there is a lot of killing going on in the fair city of New Orleans, but with that being said how many of those killing or killed were wearing rosaries, had Bible scriptures, praying hand, crosses, and Jesus tattooed on them? These are also individuals that were more than likely baptized Catholic and attended one of the many Catholic schools at least for the first part of their life. I guess my question is, "Why?" I'll admit that I'm not free from sin, but I'd like to know exactly what makes a person never take off their rosary, get a Jesus tattoo, or anything I've already mentioned and then go "work the block" or kill someone? The thugs that are so reviled can also more likely than not sit down and have a conversation with you about religion based on their attending Parochial schools early in life. What causes the change from devout Catholic to criminal? It has been noted that there is nothing for so many to work towards in New Orleans and with that being said that leads to a high dropout rate, more crime, etc., but this doesn't explain the awareness of a higher being in those who "do wrong." The good is there but it's overshadowed by the bad, why?